Point of Memory "Void Pusher"
Void Pusher is acoustic computer music; combining digital cut ups and
live ambient noise with raw organic qualities. Inaudible super-bass
frequencies pumping through a room filled with acoustic instruments
and electric guitars set to quaver and rumble sympathetically. Then
record the result; a cacophony of resounding snares, harmonizing
drones and the subtle rattle of shakers, bells and tambourines. Most
of the time you can't hear the bass, just the reactions to it.
Sometimes the bass didn't create any rattle at all. By passing the
source sounds through amplifiers at their original frequencies and
mixing them with their reactive acoustic counterparts, each moment
assumes its own physical logic, a sense of movement and consequence,
accidentally adhering to Newton's third law of motion: for each
action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
The intention behind this project was to create an album that, despite
undergoing extensive manipulation, emanates a sense of human warmth
and soul. All the source sounds were recorded live or processed
through reamplification and manipulated live in a studio setting
before being edited at home. The recording sessions took place during
spring, summer, winter, and fall, capturing a broad spectrum of moods
without deliberately seeking catharsis. The aim was to remain
emotionally open and avoid excessive direction, in a superstitious
attempt to capture something of the human condition writ large.
Rather than pursuing personal emotional release, the goal was to
embrace the human experience more generally and avoid individual
emotional states. The logic is that creating music that resonates with
universal feelings and sentiments is more challenging than producing
work that is solely introspective and self-referential. In this way,
the artist sought to be a conduit of the human condition rather than a
"writer." In both method and aspiration, the artist seeks to listen
for what is already transpiring within us, between us, around us,
rather than risk drowning it out with an idea of what should
It is hoped that through Void Pusher, something of the human
experience has been captured. --- Point of Memory
- All selections composed by Point of Memory at American
Incrementalism, Philadelphia, PA, May 2022 - April 2023.
- Sequenced and arranged in collaboration with Geoff Tick.
- Recorded at S.A.N.S., Richmond, VA, in March, May, June, August, and November 2022.
- Recording Engineer: Jon K.
- Assistant Engineer: Geoff Tick
- Performer: Point of Memory
- All sounds performed live through amplifiers, PA systems, or
acoustically and captured with room microphones.
- Some sounds created at home and laundered through amplifiers and PA systems via playback and reamplification.
- Percussion phenomenon created by inaudible sub-bass played in the amp room to make snares, bells, and guitars sympathetically resonate.
- Additional musician: Filippo Tramontana - French horn (Pro-Dread)
- Samples: Eric Trude: digital strings (Pro-Dread)
- Carried by Ravens, Void Pusher, Ballad of Myopic Triviality, and Most of a Murder all mixed and edited in collaboration with Geoff Tick.
- Mastered by Brent Lambert at the Kitchen Mastering in NC on April 24, 26, and 29, 2023.
- Photography by Phil Rodriguez
2xLP packaged in deluxe gatefold jacket
Cassette Tape in clamshell case
CD packaged in digipak